Messenger and Advocate
About Messenger and Advocate
The Messenger and Advocate was the second periodical of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints. It was published at Kirtland, Ohio, from October 1834 until September
1837. Each issue consisted of 16 pages, and it was published once a month.
After the destruction of the printing press in Independence, Missouri, a council met and unanimously decided to establish a new publishing office in Kirtland. The meeting was held on September 11, 1833, and consisted of F.G. Williams, Sidney Rigdon, Newel K. Whitney, Joseph Smith Jr., and Oliver Cowdery. The press would continue printing the Evening and Morning Star and also a new publication called "Latter-Day Saints Messenger and Advocate." This would be conducted under the firm of F.G. Williams and Co., with Oliver Cowdery as chief editor (Times and Seasons 6:850).
The first issue of the Messenger and Advocate appeared October, 1834, after completion of the second volume of Evening and Morning Star in September. In mid-May of 1835, W.W. Phelps and John Whitmer arrived at Kirtland from Missouri, and John Whitmer was appointed to take the place of Oliver Cowdery as editor (RLDS Church History 1:564).
The paper changed hands again from John Whitmer to Oliver Cowdery with the March issue of 1836. After the firm of F.G. Williams & Co. was dissolved in June of the same year, Oliver Cowdery continued as sole proprietor, editor, and publisher until February, 1837 (Church History 2:85). In February, the entire printing establishment was "transferred to Joseph Smith, Jr., and Sidney Rigdon; and Warren A. Cowdery acted as their agent in the printing office and book bindery, and Editor of the Messenger and Advocate" (Church History 2:99).
Copyright and Purchasing
The Messenger and Advocate is out of copyright and is in the public domain.
To obtain a photographic reprint of the Messenger and Advocate, contact: